A local’s guide to shopping in Salzburg
Join me today as I go shopping in Salzburg, stopping at boutiques and stores recommended by locals. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I prefer to visit places that are off the conventional tourist routes. Tag along as I shop at some of the city’s favorite shops, following the recommendations I found on the Austrian Tourist Board website.
Salzburg is famous for its Mozart connection (he was born here) as well as the festival he later inspired, but it is also known for its enchanting baroque charm and of course, the movie ‘The sound of music’. However, there’s more to the city than this and it is absolutely worth it to take some time to discover the many historical shops here.
Salzburg’s old town was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and it will enchant you with its narrow alleys, the imposing churches, the steps decorated with flowers, the wide squares with fountains and its many monuments and works of art.
It may be the oldest part of town, but it is certainly the most lively. People work and live in the old town and there are still many manufacturers in the central Getreidegasse and its surroundings.
TRADITIONAL SHOPS IN SALZBURG
Bakeries and furriers, liqueurs producers and weavers, confectioners and tailors, all their shops dot the narrow alleys with picturesque courtyards.
Because of their long-standing tradition, some of these shops are a must-see. Some examples?
- The Old Pharmacy of the Archbishops Court, located in the Alter Markt square;
- Jahn Markl, the oldest tannery in Salzburg, which sells leather clothing and traditional costumes in Residenzplatz;
- The bakery of St. Peter’s convent, dating back to the twelfth century and selling delicious wood-fired oven bread;
- The tiny Schatz pastry shop where to find heavenly specialties like their famous meringues;
- The Holzermayr chocolate shop, which was the supplier of the imperial court;
- The Musikhaus Katholnigg, entirely dedicated to music, where you can listen and meet with the artists during the festival.
I hope this article may have fueled your curiosity.
🌎 Travel&Communication Specialist
🤹♀️ Fondatrice di @inspirationforblogger
✏ Content Creator, SMM & Teacher
👨👩👧 Mamma e Moglie