Family weekend getaway in Romagna | The Blu Suite Hotel, in Igea Marina
Today I’d like to tell you all about my recent family trip to Rimini. Back in September, we spent a relaxing weekend at the Blu Suite, a family hotel in Igea Marina. I should preface this by saying that five months ago I gave birth to my daughter Iris and my life changed completely
I am a travel journalist, or, if you prefer, a travel blogger. For some years now, my passion for travel has turned into a real job, something I’m grateful for every day.
Even though I’ve always wanted to have a family of my own, I didn’t know if I could keep doing my job with a baby in tow. And then I realized that having a child allows me to have a new perspective on things, even when I travel.
Last year, I was backpacking through Asia. Today, I’m a guest at a family hotel near Rimini, whose mission is looking after grown-ups and kids, so that they can both spend a relaxing and fun-filled vacation.
THROUGHT IRIS’ EYES
I’d like to take the opportunity, with this article, to start a new column. It’s going to be called “Throught Iris’ eyes”.
This article is going to be the first of many where I will only be writing about traveling with kids. Apologies in advance for any inaccuracies, this is all so new to me! I hope that, in time, this blog will become the first port of call for information on family travel.
Having a daughter has been a turning point in my life.
Iris is the reason why I changed my body, my habits, my projects, my ideas.
All that I can do to reciprocate her unconditional love and each one of her smiles is teaching her to travel. I’d like for her not to be afraid of leaving everything behind and depart for foreign lands. I hope, with all my heart, that she’ll seek and find her freedom. Above all, I wish that she’ll find her path and appreciates how precious life is.
WHY STAY AT A FAMILY HOTEL
The name says it all. At these hotels, children can have fun even without their parents. There are so many play areas that parents can have some time by themselves, even during a family trip.
Don’t feel like reading? Watch my video instead. You’ll get to know more about this hotel in under 5 minutes!
THAT SPECIAL SOMETHING
All the above is the standard for a family hotel, so what makes the Blu Suite Hotel unique?
- Meal plans created by a naturopath. Healthy and tasty food that provides the right daily caloric intake for both grown-ups and kids. You’ll find a vademecum on healthy eating on their website too.
- Mother & baby massages. Their fabulous spa offers them for babies over 3-months-old.
- A beachfront swimming pool that’s heated at 30° all-year-round.
- A private beach with babysitters, kids entertainers, a play area and a beach bar
- A dog-friendly beach so you can easily bring your four-legged friends with you.
- Free stays for children up to 6/8 years.
- The ‘Lulu’ restaurant, designed with children in mind.
- Pharmacy delivery service.
- Doctors and pediatricians on call.
- Babysitting service.
Not to mention the convenience of traveling light, since you’ll find everything you may need there.
Don’t just take my word for it, see it for yourself:
THE “BLUE VITA” PROJECT
The Blu Suite hotel has developed its own philosophy when it comes to the wellbeing of the entire family. Eating a variety of brightly colored fruits and vegetables is a science-backed way to stay healthy. Blu Suite knows it and based their ‘Blue Vita’ meal plan around it. With the help of a naturopath, they created menus that are healthy yet delicious (trust me on this!). You can read more about it on this page.
Our all-inclusive stay comprised of breakfast, lunch and dinner, giving me ample opportunity to sample the hotel’s cuisine. We were never disappointed. Every meal was absolutely top-notch!
The breakfast spread was impressive: a wide selection of pastries, savory snacks, coffee (try the ginseng coffee called ‘Gin-co’, simply delicious), croissants with both dark and milk chocolate cream, vegan and organic products, seasonal fruit and a different cake every day.
At lunch, there’s a large buffet with many dishes to choose from: appetizers, vegetables, sandwiches, cold cuts, cheese, pasta and more. It is also possible to choose a main course à la carte. During our stay, I tried the spelt macaroni with crab sauce (delicious!) and the fresh pasta with seafood (excellent!).
Dinner follows the same formula as lunch except when there are themed dinners. During our stay, we had the luck to attend one dedicated to the traditional cuisine of Romagna (the region where the Blu Suite family hotel is located).
With so many options, you’ll never be hungry, that’s for sure!
ROOMS AND PENTHOUSE SUITES
The Blu Suite hotel offers accommodation for all budgets.
During our family trip to Rimini, we stayed in the “Blue Heaven” penthouse suite. You’ll never want to leave the many comforts of this room, which offers a view sure to please anyone. The penthouse suites have their own, private rooftop terrace, where you can sunbathe and relax whilst enjoying an unparalleled view. You can see all the room types on this page.
A FIVE-STAR SPA
What I liked the most was the large swimming pool with hot tub, as well as the Kneipp foot bath (so beautiful!).
You’ll also find a hammam, chromo-therapy showers, a sauna, a relaxation room and a gym.
Good to know:
- Access to the spa is free and unlimited for all hotel guests.
- You must be at least 16 years old to access the spa.
- You’ll find a spa kit in each bathroom, with a bathrobe, slippers and a sauna towel.
- The spa can be reserved for exclusive use. I can’t stop thinking how nice it would be to have a bachelorette party here – alas, I’m already married 🙂 !
Next to the spa, there is also a massage center. I’ve personally not tried it, so I don’t have any first-hand experience to attest to the quality but I loved the idea of a mother & baby massage. I brought my little girl there and she was totally at ease on the massage bed. I guess she’ll end up loving massages as much as her mother when she grows up!
BEYOND THE HOTEL
There are plenty of things to do if you’d like to venture outside the hotel. Here are my top picks for a family trip:
- The town of Rimini is about 12 km away. Whatever you want to do, in Rimini you can do it. I don’t know the town very well but I can recommend a long walk along the beach and having a meal in piazza Fellini.
- Some of Italy’s most famous amusement parks are just a short ride away: Italia in miniatura (5 km), Mirabilandia (32 km), Fiabilandia (15 km) Aquafan (25 km).
- The hotel is close to many coastal towns, including Igea marina (500 m), Bellaria (3 km), Cesenatico (14 km) and Riccione (26 km).
- Last but not least, a nice swim at the beach in front of the hotel. Having been in September, the beach was quiet and the water clean and warm. Taking a stroll here at sunset is truly magical.
ROOM RATES AND OVERALL REVIEW
I’m sure you’ll have understood by now that the staying at the Blu Suite family hotel isn’t cheap. It is a 4-star hotel, after all, and the service and the facilities live up to its rating.
You’ll be treated like royalty and it’s fair that the prices reflect that.
Having said that, I believe I’m off to an excellent start when it comes to family trips. I think the hotel is perfect for those looking for privacy, guaranteed fun for the little ones, some beach time and delicious food.
A big thank you to the staff of the Blu Suite Hotel for having me!
Valentina & family